A Brief History of the Diocese
1841 The Jerusalem Bishopric was founded to establish an Anglican presence in the city
1845 The first Anglican Church in Jerusalem (Christ Church, Jaffa Gate) was dedicated
1891 Building work started on the Cathedral during the episcopacy of the fourth Bishop, George Blyth
1898 The Cathedral was consecrated by the Bishop of Salisbury
1923 The Pilgrim Guesthouse was established
1957 It became an Archbishopric in 1957, although no Province was created at that time
1976 The Archbishopric came to an end and a Province was constituted, to be known as the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East. At that time the Bishop in Jerusalem was also given oversight of Jordan, Lebanon and Syria which continues today.