Diocese of Jerusalem

Profile picture of Archbishop Suheil

 

 

Bishop in Jerusalem: The Most Revd. Archbishop Suheil Dawani

 

 

 

The Jerusalem Bishopric was founded in 1841, to establish an Anglican presence in the city. It became an Archbishopric in 1957, although no Province was created at that time.

In 1976, the Archbishopric came to an end and a Province was constituted, to be known as the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East. At that time the Bishop in Jerusalem was also given oversight of Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

The Cathedral Church of St. George the Martyr in Jerusalem is the Cathedral of the Bishopric. It also has a special relation with the whole Anglican Communion through the ministry to pilgrims.

St. Georges College is a study and resource centre for the Anglican Communion and courses of study are organised for lay and ordained people.

Jerusalem is clearly a special place for Christians on pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Moreover the Church in this Diocese has deep roots in the Arabic-speaking population and therefore has to witness among very great problems with displaced persons, refugees and casualties of the strife in the Middle East. Inevitably, local resources are insufficient to maintain the work, and much more needs to be done.

Support from the Jerusalem and the East Mission Trust is directed to the support of the Cathedral and its ministry to the Diocese and pilgrims and of educational work in Jerusalem, Amman, Nazareth, Shefa Amr, Haifa and medical work in Gaza and Nablus (see our Featured Projects).

News from the Diocese can be found in our twice-yearly magazine, Bible Lands

The Diocesan Web site can be found at www.j-diocese.org where you can download Jerusalem's latest Diocesan Newsletter